Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Second Life

Kind of odd looking back to a time "before the event". On Saturday, January 16th, I experienced "sudden cardiac arrest". I'm still sorting out the terms - "heart attack", SCA (or SCD - Death!), "myocardial infarction", V-Fib, etc. There are some subtle differences but suffice it to say that I basically dropped dead on a sunny Saturday afternoon just before 2 PM. If the man standing next to me did not know CPR and begin IMMEDIATELY, I would not be here. Blunt but true.

The whole experience has been surreal. One day you're standing in the woods and you close your eyes. When you open them, you're in a hospital bed and it's a week later. The good news is, I don't remember any of it. So perhaps those who we all know have died in that manner don't suffer at all? Yes, some of it may be due to the serious meds they pumped into me so that I wouldn't remember ventilators and feeding tubes, etc. I have a great weight-loss program - go in the hospital and don't eat anything for a week. A quick 15 to 20 pound drop.

OK, more on this later - I'm sure. It's all I think about these days...

No comments: