Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ides of May

My son plays catcher on his parochial middle school baseball team. They are probably the biggest school in the diocese by enrollment and therefore generally have the best baseball team. They are undefeated. At game time today, they were 6-0 and their opponent was tied for 2nd at 5-1.

In the second inning, they turned a 5-4-3 double play (slow batter).

In the 3rd inning, the opponents had runners on 2nd & 3rd with one out. The batter blooped one just over shortstop. The runner on 2nd had a good angle and could see the ball was going to drop and was going for it. The runner on 3rd was holding and started to run when the ball dropped. The shortstop picked up the ball in short left and threw to my son at the plate. He tagged out the runner sliding in from 3rd and then looked up to see the other guy right behind him. He tagged him for a double play.

In the top of the 7th, they attempted a steal of 3rd with 2 outs and my son threw the runner out.

The opponents got a run in the 4th so it was 1-0 going into the bottom of the 7th. Our #2, #3 & #4 hitters coming up – my son is #3. The #2 batter gets hit by a pitch for the 2nd time in a row.

My son comes up and the crowd is chanting “C’mon Bigs” – his nickname. His friend steals 2nd. My son hits one into left-center and the runner comes in to tie the game. My son goes to 2nd on the late throw to the plate. Then he attempts to steal 3rd, the ball gets by the thirdbaseman and he comes in to score the game winner.

This parochial league is kind of a joke because some of the teams are so deficient. But games like this are enjoyable, certainly with this outcome. Yes, I'm a proud father. It's fun to watch my son grow up and live a life I could only dream about. He only turned 14 last month but he's already as tall as I am.

What good is having a blog if you can't brag about your kid?

No comments: